Device Info Help
- Log in - You need to log in to search for devices. If you haven't registered, it's easy to create a new account.
- Open Device Search
- For NEPTUNE Canada instruments in the water, choose NEPTUNE as the Observatory and North East Pacific as the Region.
- Narrow your search further by choosing a Location, Device Category, Security Tier or Principal Investigator.
- Click Search Devices - this takes you to the Results tab.
- Click individual instruments for detailed information about them.
- If you need help with a particular instrument, contact the appropriate instrument point person.
- Access to detailed information varies, depending on your NEPTUNE Canada user permissions. If you need access to information that is not being displayed for you, Let us know.
- Some information may be missing or outdated. If you spot incorrect or out-of-date information, please notify us.
Device Search lets you search for scientific instruments and other devices on both the NEPTUNE Canada and VENUS observatories, filtering by any/all of the following:
- Observatory (VENUS or NEPTUNE Canada)
- Region (Use "North East Pacific" for NEPTUNE Canada devices currently in the water.)
- Location (Main node locations within the observatory network.)
- Device category (A wide variety of scientific and engineering device categories.)
- Device ID (Unique ID number assigned to each individual device.)
- Device name
- IP address
- DNS name
- Engineering ID (Distinct from the device ID.)
- Serial number
- Security tier (Low, medium or high, as defined by our defence partners.)
- Principal investigator (One scientist is designated as the "PI" for each device.)
To search for devices, choose the filters listed above to narrow your search, then click Search Devices. The results of your search will appear on the Results tab of this page.
You can always click back to the Query Parameters tab to revise your search.
When you find the instrument or device you're looking for, click it's Id number for detailed information about it:
Clicking the device id takes you to the Device Details page, which provides detailed information about a selected instrument or infrastructure device.
Click the tabs along the top to acces information about the device:
- Sensor - (Individual sensors belonging to the device.)
- Ip - (IP address of the device.)
- Electrical Rating - (Voltage, current and power information.)
- Data Rating - (Data sampling info.)
- Nameplate - (Text written on the device nameplate.)
- Port - (Port connecting the device to the network.)
- Physical Characteristics - (Physical characteristics of the device – not always provided.)
- Device Action (History of actions performed on the device.)
- Event - (Historical list of all recorded events affecting the instrument, including actions.)
- Site - (Listing of all sites the device has occupied since delivery to NEPTUNE Canada.)
- Additional Attributes - (Additional information – varies by instrument.)
Within many of the Device Details tabs, additional details can be be accessed by clicking information links.
Click Sensor Id links to move to the Sensor Maintenance page for each sensor on an instrument:
Click Electrical Rating Id links to see electrical rating information about the device:
Click Nmaeplate Id links to see the contents on the device nameplate:
Click Device Port Id links to see details about the port the device is connected to:
Click Device Action Id links to see details about all actions performed on or with a device:
The Device Event tab lists all events for a device, including actions, IP configurations, site positions and device & sensor attribute settings. Click the Id links for details on each individual event.
The Site tab lists all sites where a device has been located, including our Marine Technology Centre (MTC) integration lab and aboard ship, during maintenance operations.
Click the Site links for details about the site and a listing of other co-located devices.
Click the Additional Attributes tab for a listing of any additional settings or attributes pertaining to the instrument. (Not available for all devices.)