Child pages
  • General Discussion
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Post your comments, questions, thoughts and ideas here!

21 Comments

1. Unknown User (dwowens)

Welcome to the general discussion forum of the NEPTUNE Canada Wiki!

2. Anonymous

My 11 YO son and I saw a spot on daily planet about Neptune Canada so I came here all excited to watch live, what creatures may be swimming about down in the oaean but I can't figure out how? This site seems really complicated to me... is it not for use by the general public? Excuse my ignorance but can't there just simply be a "watch live" button?

3. Unknown User (dwowens)

Hi, your idea is great and we hope to do something like that – when we get a chance to catch our breath around here (things have been pretty hectic). In the meantime, the steps for viewing live video are pretty simple:

1. From the front page of the website, click "Data Explorer"
    2. Log in on the screen called NEPTUNE Canada Oceans 2.0 login (you'll need to register for an account to do this – registration is free and easy)
    3. Look for a menu in the upper-left corner of the page called Browse...
    4. Roll your mouse over Browse... and choose Camera Control from the menu
    5. You'll see a window that looks like this:

The video window is usually black, except when our lights are turned on periodically by scientists. You can see two laser beams used to measure the size of objects in the view. We will hopefully be setting up a regular schedule for the lights, so you can visit to watch when they are turned on.

4. Anonymous

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT EASIER TO NAVIGATE TO TIMES OF LIGHTS BEING ON AND SEEING MARINE LIFE LIVE. AND

HOW TO GET TO THE PREVIOUS LIVE STREAM VIDEO AND DATA MISSED.

THIS IS A GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT !! FIRST OF ALL I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS THE ANNOYMOUS WAY. ANYHOW ALL I WANT TO FIND IS THE TIMES THE LIGHTS WILL BE ON AND FIND OUT HOW TO GET THE LIVE FEED IMAGES , YOU KNOW VIDEO'S OF MARINE LIFE. ??????? LATER I WILL WANT TO CHECK OUT INFORMATION DATA.
    WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED , YOU GENIOUS'S OBVIOUSLY WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT !!! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED AT HOW WE THE PUBLIC MUST KNOW A HEAP OF INFORMATION, JUST TO OBSERVE A
    GREAT GREAT GREAT CANADIAN EXPLORATION THAT MY TAXES PAY FOR.
    CURRENTLY FRUSTRATED
    ALMA MILLER

Hello. We're working with scientists to decide on an automated lights-on schedule for the video camera, but in the meantime, we're planning to turn the lights on 12:00-1:00 p.m. every week day. You can check the schedule on our calendar.

I've made a little movie on YouTube that explains how to watch the live video. Click here to see the YouTube movie.

5. Anonymous

Dwight,

It would be great if the camera lights could be turned on for a time period during the evening and on weekends. Most kids and adults are either at school or working during the current 11 am to 12 noon weekday schedule.

Thanks,

Charles

Agreed, Charles. The scientists are still working out the protocol for camera control and lights-on scheduling. We hope to set up an automated light schedule, perhaps 3 minutes every half hour or something like that. Once the schedule is determined, we'll update our calendar with it. Also, there is another camera (maybe two) that we're working on getting up and running.

Additionally, we hope to begin posting recordings of video from lights-on sessions – not the same as live, but valuable and interesting nonetheless.

Over time we hope to bring more and more things online for students and general audiences. Also, next summer, we plan to install a high-definition colour camera, which we hope will provide some great footage. Of course, nothing is certain when working 2600m below sea level in high-pressure, very cold, and corrosive waters!

Thanks for your interest and your participation!

6. Unknown User (dwowens)

One of our NEPTUNE Canada scientists, graduate student Katleen Robert, worked with the camera today and had this to report:

Hi everyone,

Here is a summary of the camera operations carried today. As Doug
    suggested, I tested the range of motion of the pan (-149° to 149°) and
    tilt (-66° to 66°) (I do not know what these degree readings truly
    represent). It is possible to pan left until the left back leg comes
    into the field of view. One can look almost straight back where the
    horizontal ruler was laid by panning right. When tilting up, the
    underside of the platform can be seen. We cannot tilt far enough down
    to have a completely down-looking view of the seafloor, but it is
    close. I should also mention that there is a 5-10 seconds of delay and
    that the pan controls are reversed.

As suggested by Murray, panned sweeps at various tilt angles were
    carried and recorded so that a composite image of the entire study area
    can be created. However, I would strongly suggest avoiding corners
    (maximum range on both tilt and pan) as the camera has significant
    issues moving away from them. The video recording of today's testing
    should be available very soon.

Regarding the lights, I have tried various settings, but as the camera
    compensates, I have found that 1% gives as good an image as 10%. This
    may differ when more particulate matter is present. However, we should
    definitely avoid going above 30% as this can trip the camera especially
    when moving at the same time. I was told that this does not result in
    any damage to the camera, but it will render it unusable until it can
    be restored. The lighting is quite even so long as both the right and
    left lights are at the same intensity.

I ran out of time before I could assess how reliably one could go back
    to the same position using pan and tilt values. This will be for next
    time. I am definitely quite happy with the performance and I am
    looking forward to using the camera again.

7. Unknown User (mmrbest)

Hi All,

For those interested in images and video, you'll see a link on our homepage that says Looking for Live Video?  This gives some pointers to those looking for video on our site, including "best of", raw recorded, and live streaming.  As Dwight has said, we'll be adding to the functionality of the site and the Oceans 2.0 active science environment, however remember this is a working science site, open to all, but primarily designed for scientists - this is what our funding is for.

cheers, MB

8. Anonymous

Hi there... I came to this site after reading an online article on NEPTUNE... I can understand that the video and images are limited due to light restrictions but can someone tell me how to download or play the sound files? I am curious to hear some of the whale song that was discussed. I have an account on the Oceans 2.0 page but none of the hydrophones are available on the Data Access page for either Barkley Canyon or Folger Passage. Are they available yet? Thank you.

1. Anonymous

P.S. This is the article I read:

http://www.canada.com/Deep+mics+broadcast+whales/2316006/story.html

P.P.S. Congratulations to the team of researchers who made this even possible. Good use of my tax money... I vote for more NEPTUNE!

2. Unknown User (dwowens)

Hi. We're working on getting the hydrophone data soon. We hope to provide both the sound files and spectrograms, and there are some exciting software tools in the works, which will allow you to annotate and search comments attached to sound signatures in the hydrophone data. Not sure of the e.t.a. on these things, however.

1. Anonymous

Hello Dwight et al. Arnold Hensen here, BSc. U of G '79. Have interest in Cetation acoustics, would be willing to address tasking. Can I be of assistance? Also would appreciate a heads up when hydrophones come online. Are You going to have access to subharmonic amplification through time manipulation? Twould be cool.
        Thanks and looking forward to more participation.
        R

Hi, Arnold. At present, we still working through some issues with the hydrophone data – seems the gain needs adjusting and we're looking at post-processing procedures. When the hydrophone data does come live, we'll send out word through our Twitter feed, so I suggest you subscribe to that, or check it from time to time to see where things stand.

2. Anonymous

Any idea on when the hydrophones will be LIVE?

The hydrophone data is not yet available, but we are working on the infrastructure to make the wav files available soon in our Data Explorer (the same utility where other data products are obtained). Once that goes live, we'll announce it via our twitter feed. Even after that, we will be adding utilities to help analyze and annotate hydrophone data.

9. Anonymous

Hi Dwight, FYI:I watched your 'how to' video, thank you for that. I then registered, and went to the camera list and ran into page error trouble. Perhaps you are having lots of interest, & traffic. This is an amazing project! I look forward to getting to know our new video stars of the deep!
    I am looking forward to your sea views. I will try again later. A

Hello, Anonymous.

I asked our software development manager Eric Guillemot about this and he replied that he thinks you somehow got to the wrong page because our Camera List selector is not available yet. That will be a new feature as soon as we get more that one underwater webcams up and running.

I'd recommend you return to the Oceans 2.0 Data Explorer and try again. The menu item you need to choose is Camera Control.

10. Anonymous

Hi all,

Tried downloading Doppler data from Barkley Upper Slope. For a query on 14 Nov to 14 Dec I only received data for 14-20 Nov and 6-8 Dec, despite the whole time frame being "green" in the GUI.

The data itself looks good, but I was very confused by:

u_toTrueNorth_m_per_s: 50x718 double
    v_toTrueEast_m_per_s: 50x718 double

is u the N/S velocity and v the E/W velocity? That would be opposite of usual oceanographic convention which has u as E/W.

Otherwise the files seem pretty useful.

Cheers, Jody Klymak (jklymak@uvic.ca)

PS, I logged onto Oceans 2.0, why am I not logged on here?

1. Anonymous

Hi Jody,

The full data set is now there - there was a delay in the raw data being saved to the archived file form for Dec 9, causing the query to end at that point.

The u and v are actually correct...North and East were accidentally reversed, but this will be modified in the upcoming days. Thanks for noticing the error - definitely appreciated!

Reyna

2. Unknown User (dwowens)

Also, Jody, regarding the double-login, it's an issue we're working on. We've actually got three sites right now, and logins aren't shared between the wiki and the other two. We're hoping to implement a Single Sign-On system in the new year.