Annotations are markers or comments you can add to Ocean Networks Canada data such as videos on SeaTube. On other pages you are able to annotate other types of data, instruments and many other things. When you create an annotation, you can choose to keep it private (only you will be able to see it), or you can share it with the world (anyone will be able to search for it and see it).
IMPORTANT: ONCE YOU SHARE AN ANNOTATION, YOU CAN'T "UNSHARE" IT – THE ANNOTATION BECOMES PART OF THE OCEAN NETWORKS CANADA ARCHIVES AND REMAINS VIEWABLE BY ALL USERS.
This example of annotating uses SeaTube, allowing you to annotate any of the dive videos currently available.
The flag button lets you quickly mark a time and place in the video. When you click it, nothing seems to happen. Behind the scenes, however, an empty annotation is created, which you can search and open later, to add comments and further information.
To create a full annotation, click the Add an Annotation button. The annotation panel pops up. You can then:
- Define the time period the annotation refers to
- Add your comments
- Share the annotation by clicking the Shared button (cannot be undone)
- Flag your annotation for future reference or editing
To search and review annotations, choose Annotations from the More... menu:
This opens the Query Annotations page.
The Query Annotations screen lets you search for annotations by:
- Resource type: ROPOS dive, device, etc.
- Resource: an individual dive, device, etc.
- Fields: text or annotation choices contained in any of the annotation comments
- Date & Time: specific date and time range
- Shared: Shared or published annotations previously created by anyone
- My annotations: annotations created by you, including those you have or haven't shared or flagged
Refine your search using the above filters, then click the Search button. When you do this, the results are displayed below, listed by:
- ID: a unique identification number assigned to each annotation. Click these numbers to view or edit individual annotations.
- Resource Type: ROPOS dive, device, etc.
- Resource Name: the name of the individual dive, device, etc. related to each individual annotation
- Annotation Summary: comment or other information contained within the annotation
- Start/End Date: the dates and times referenced by each annotation (this does not refer to the date and time the annotation was created)
- User ID: a way of identifying which user made the annotation
- Flagged: whether an annotation has been flagged or not
- Shared: whether an annotation is shared (published) or not
- Modified Date (UTC): the date and time the annotation was made, in the UTC time zone
After searching, you can copy the full list of annotations for use in a spreadsheet. Click Export to export to a file in Excel or CSV format.