Most of Ocean Networks Canada's data products come with a metadata file, which gives information about all aspects of data. Ocean Networks Canada has transitioned from the previous metadata product, which follows the guidelines from the US Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) to ISO 19115 Metadata standard.
This is a beta version of the ISO 19115 metadata product which does not include information about data quality & gaps.
- metadataIdentifier : unique identifier for the metadata record itself
- dateInfo: dates associated with the metadata record.
- metadataStandard : citation of the metadata standard used
- contact : the individual/organization responsible for metadata creation and maintenance
- MD_Metadatascope : scope of resource to which the metadata applies
abstract : description of the dataset
purpose : the intentions for which the resource was developed
status : term taken from progress codelist
topicCategory : Main theme(s) of the resource
citation : citation for the resource, includes name, publication date, identifiers, originators and publishers.
- description : general free text description of the geographic location associated with the resource
- EX_GeographicBoundingBox : where to record the latitude/longitude associated with data (option to specify polygon if box not appropriate
- EX_TemporalExtent: the time period data collection took place, technically single temporal instance is allowed but range is preferred
- EX_VerticalExtent: minimum and maximum vertical extent of the resource
- maintenanceAndUpdateFrequency: codelist that provides standard periods at which modifications are made to the data after it is first produced
- maintenanceNote: information regarding specific requirements for maintaining the resource
- MD_Distributor : information about the distributor
- MD_DigitalTransferOptions :technical means and media by which a resource is obtained from the distributor
- MD_LegalConstraints: specifies any constraints on the use or access to a resource through the restrictions codelist, also includes a free text elements to explain use limitations or constraints not covered by one of the provided terms
All details about the purpose of these fields can be found at: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:ISO_Explorer
Official repository containing XML for ISO 19115: http://standards.iso.org/iso/19115/-3/